Learn More About Pediatric Dentistry
Dental care isn’t only for adults. Parents should begin bringing their children to the dentist early—that way they get used to the environment and won’t have as much fear later on. At Foremost Family Health Centers and MLK Family Clinic, we understand that you have a lot on your plate, especially if you’ve recently had a baby. Fortunately, our team is here to provide quality dental care you can count on. Our committed pediatric dentists are trained to help parents encourage sound dental health habits that will go a long way to preventing cavities and tooth decay. No matter your child’s dental need, our team in Dallas and Balch Springs, TX is here for you.
What Is Pediatric Dentistry?
Pediatric dentistry is a specialty that involves caring for young patients from birth through college. Children’s dentistry adapts techniques used for adults to little children, treats a range of oral conditions, and provides crucial education about dental health. At Foremost Family Health Centers, our pediatric dentists are dedicated to helping children develop a positive opinion of the dentist. Too often, children are scared by bad experiences with dentistry. We strive to create a calming, comfortable environment that reduces anxiety and stress.
What Is the Age Range of Pediatric Dentistry?
Pediatric dentistry is geared toward a wide variety of age groups. We encourage parents to schedule appointments for newborn babies, as well as toddlers, school-aged children, and young adults entering college. There is never a wrong age for exceptional dental care, so be sure to ask our team about available appointments with our pediatric dentists.
How Is Pediatric Dentistry Different from Adult Care?
In general, pediatric dentistry uses the same techniques as adult dentistry. However, there are some important distinctions between these two types of care. For one, much of the equipment pediatric dentists use is smaller as to fit the size of a child’s mouth. Utilizing this specialized equipment makes for a more comfortable experience in the dentist’s chair for children of all ages. Pediatric dentists also focus much more on the educational aspect of the visit. We’ll be sure to explain best practices for oral hygiene, even giving tutorials on how to floss thoroughly. While all of our dentists are committed to fostering a friendly, relaxing environment for patients, our pediatric team puts an even greater emphasis on creating a comforting, nurturing place for children.
When to Schedule Your First Dental Appointment
At Foremost Family Health Centers and MLK Family Clinic, we recommend scheduling your child’s very first dentist appointment at around six months. During these early appointments, our team will evaluate your child’s oral health and identify any potential problems. Catching dental issues early on can help us prevent the condition from worsening and recommend effective treatments.
What to Expect at Your Child’s Appointment
What to expect at your child’s appointment will vary greatly depending on their age. If this is their first visit to the dentist, you’ll need to answer some questions to identify risk factors. This might include inquiries about family history or any medical conditions your child has. If your toddler is teething, your dentist can give you crucial tips to making the process much less painful. But if this is just another routine dental checkup for your child, you can expect the following:
- Plaque and tartar removal
- Thorough cleaning with a gritty toothpaste
- Explanation of proper brushing technique
- Fluoride application to strengthen enamel
- Sealant application (typically recommended for ages 6 to 14)
The Benefits of Working with a Pediatric Dentist
It’s no secret that dental health is critical to one’s overall health. Even though baby teeth are by no means permanent, caring for them is still paramount. Not only does early dental care encourage sound hygiene habits, but early visits can greatly improve your child’s dental health in the long run. You should schedule two visits for your child each year. These appointments help to eliminate and prevent tooth decay. Besides the clear benefits of increased dental health, other advantages of pediatric dentistry include:
- Developmentally based dental care
- Exams, x-rays, cleanings, fillings, and sealants available in one convenient place
- Help with teaching good hygiene habits to your child
- Specialized training geared toward children
- Enjoyable, comfortable dental visits
- Calming bedside manner
- Medical-dental combined visits for our youngest patients
Take Advantage of Our Other Services
The team at Foremost Family Health Centers and MLK Family Clinic are proud to offer a wide range of services to our youngest patients. However, we can provide much more than just top-notch pediatric care. Besides pediatric dentistry, the Dallas and Balch Springs communities trust us for general medicine, mental health support, and much more. Below, you’ll find some of our most sought-after services:
- Adult Dentistry: Our dental expertise extends to adults as well. Schedule an appointment, whether you’ve kept up with regular dentist visits or you’ve let your oral health slide over the years.
- Behavioral Health: Emotional and mental health is no less important than physical health. At our health centers, you can make appointments with seasoned behavioral health professionals.
- Lab Testing & Support Services: In addition to run-of-the-mill checkups and sick visits, we’re also happy to offer support services and lab testing, all in one convenient place.
- Family Medicine: The team at Foremost Family Health Centers has the resources and skills to treat the whole family. From babies to the elderly, our team can address your health concerns.
- Obstetrics & Gynecology: Are you trying to get pregnant? Speak to our team specializing in obstetrics and gynecology. We’re here to help with female-specific health concerns.
- Pediatrics: In addition to pediatric dentistry, our team can treat a wide range of pediatric conditions. Schedule an appointment for a sick visit, physical, or checkup.
- Podiatry: Our team also specializes in caring for the feet and ankles. If you’re dealing with chronic pain in this region, be sure to speak with us.
- Telehealth/Telemedicine: We understand the growing need to stay at home as much as possible. Our team is now offering telehealth services, so you don’t need to leave your living room to receive medical advice.
Why Our Community Chooses Us
The Dallas and Balch Springs communities have come to trust Foremost Family Health Centers for quality, affordable health care. What began as a family clinic in 1986 is now a staple of these communities. We’ve long been known for top-notch family medicine, gynecology, and dental care. As our health center has expanded, our services have come to include podiatry, behavioral health, and more. Residents of Dallas and the surrounding areas continue to choose us for our comprehensive approach to care, friendly staff, and affordable services, even for uninsured people.
Get in Touch with Us Today
Whether you’re looking for an exceptional pediatric dentist or healthcare for the whole family, don’t hesitate to reach out to Foremost Family Health Centers and MLK Family Clinic. We’re happy to answer your questions about dentistry, family medicine, or even telehealth! We firmly believe that healthcare should be accessible to everyone, whether you’re insured or not. Contact us today to make your appointment.